Breakfast is the most ...
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so make sure you don't miss it. These muffins are great for breakfast on the go.
BREAKFAST BANANA AND CHERRY MUFFINS
MAKES 6 PREP 10 MINS
COOK 20 MINS
150g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g light muscovado sugar
1 ripe banana
150g Morrisons Eat Smart Fat Free Natural Yogurt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg white
70g cherries, stoned and chopped.
1- Heat the oven to 180C/350c / Gas 4 and Line a 6-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
2- Tip the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Hold back 1 tbsp of the suger, then mix the remainder with the flour. Make a well in the centre.
3- In a separate bowl, mash the banana until nearly smooth. Stir in the yogurt, oil and egg white until the mixture is evenly combined.
4- Pour the liquid mixture into the well and stir quickly and sparingly with a wooden spoon. the mix will look lumpy and may have the odd fleck flech of flour still visible, but don't be tempted to over-mix. Tip in the cherries and give it one more stir.
5- Divide the mix between the muffin cases - they will be quite full- then sprinkle the tops with the rest of the sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes until risen and a dark gold colour. Cool for 5 minutes in the tray before lifting out onto a rack to cool completely.
COOK'S TIP This is a good way to use up overripe bananas. If you don't like cherries, use raspberries or blueberries.
One muffin provides: 184 calories 9.2% , 14.7g sugar 16% , 4.1g fat 5.9%, 0.5g saturates 2.5% , 0.5g salt 8.3%, of your guideline daily amount.
Here are a few tips to make muffins the best they can be:
- Lightly spray paper baking cups with nonstick cooking spray to prevent muffins from sticking to the paper.
- To get nicely domed muffins, grease the baking cups on the botton's and only halfway up the sides.
- After adding the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, stir just until moistened. if you try to stir out all the lumps, your muffins will have peaks, tunnels , and a tough texture.
- Fill muffin caps as directed in the receipe.if there isn't enough batter to fill all the caps, fill the empty cups with water before baking to protect the pan.
- Once the batter is mixed, put the muffins in the preheated oven right away. Batters that use baking powder and baking soda need to be baked immediately so the leavening power is not lost.
- Muffins are done when their tops are golden.
- To prevent saggy muffins, cool them in the baking pan only as long as directed in the recipe.
- To store muffins, cool completely . place them in a plastic bag, seal , and store at room temprature for up to three days.
- To freeze muffine, wrap them tightly in heavy foil or place them in freezer bags and freeze for up to three months.
- To reheat frozen muffine, wrap them in heavy foil , heat them in a 300 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes for 1-3/4 inch muffines, 15 t o 18 minuts for 2-1/2 inch muffins and 25 to 30 minutes for jumbo size muffins.
Translated by zshateri